The secret to growth on Instagram is to use hashtags (or tags) on each post. Tags are a way to categorize posts across the platform. When a user searches for a certain hashtag, photos with that tag that users are engaging with the most will show under “Top Posts,” while others will show up under “Most Recent.” Post a picture without a tag and it will appear to your followers only and won’t be discoverable outside of your profile.
1. Use as many tags per post as you can, or close to it. Instagram currently allows up to 33 tags per post.
2. Do not copy and paste the same tags to each post. This will only lead Instagram to classify your page as spam. Feel free to use the same and/or similar tags, but switch the order of each one.
3. Don’t use only wildly popular tags such as #success or #business. Use tags such as #successmindset or #businesssuccess. This is your best chance to be seen by as many people as possible. Yes, popular tags are searched more often, but there are also more posts, which decreases your chances of being seen.
4. Include a caption with your post. Use a caption that describes your picture, or even include a popular quote, such as, “If you really want to do something, you find a way. If not, you find an excuse.” Quotes are very popular on Instagram. Though you can include tags in your caption, I recommend posting the caption first, then adding tags as a comment.
5. Remember that consistency is key. For increased engagement, you should post approximately four times a day.
At the end of the day, you should be reaching people who truly want to follow you. Those who are just looking for a “follow back” won’t do much to grow your business. There’s nothing wrong with following people you truly care about, but if you want to be seen as an authority or influencer in your industry, you shouldn’t follow more people than who follow you. The fewer people you follow, the better it looks to your audience.
Set a goal today to grow your presence on Instagram by using methods above. It may seem like a huge mountain to climb, but week after week, month after month, you should see your followers growing by the thousands. That’s exciting!
So start right now.